President Donald Trump officially chose Judge Neil Gorsuch to fill the Supreme Court seat vacated by the death of Justice Antonin Scalia.
Here are 6 facts to know about Judge Neil Gorsuch:
1) The Colorado Native will be one of the youngest Supreme Court Justice in United States history. At just 49 years old, Gorsuch is the youngest judge to be nominated in over 25 years.
2) He graduated law school with a former President. Both Barack Obama and Neil Gorsuch were in the graduating class of 1991 from Harvard School of Law.
3) He currently serves on Denver’s 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals. Gorsuch served in the Justice Department under George W. Bush prior to serving on the Circuit Court of Appeals.
4) He admires his late friend Justice Antonin Scali. Fly fishing partner and friend to Scalia, Gorsuch on numerous occasions has praised Scalia’s close textual interpretation of the Constitution. Often called a “Texualist” and a Constitutionalist, Gorsuch is following closely in Scalia’s legacy.
5) Gorsuch is an advocate for imposing term limits. In 1992, he co-authored a paper that outlined the use of institutional checks designed to prevent an abuse of power in the legislative branch. Calling these limits “constitutionally permissible”.
6) He is known nationally for taking the side of religious organizations opposed to parts of the Affordable Care Act. Gorsuch was a key member in the Burwell v. Hobby Lobby case, siding with Hobby Lobby. The case has now been pushed through the Supreme Court in favor of removing contraceptives from employer-based health care.