Last night at the 74th annual Golden Globes Awards actress Meryl Streep was honored with the Cecil B. DeMille award for lifetime achievement. While accepting the award, Meryl took it upon herself to turn her acceptance speech into a political protest statement, slamming President-Elect Trump. I have a couple things I would like to say in response to Mrs. Streep’s political statement.

Dear Meryl,

You began your speech by piggybacking off of Hugh Laurie’s earlier statements, saying “you and all of us in this room, really, belong to the most vilified segments in American society right now. Think about it. Hollywood, foreigners, and the press.” It amazes me that you along with so many other Hollywood stars really think you represent the entirety of the electorate. You’re part of the 1%, Meryl. What makes you qualified to speak for middle America and the other 99%? The fact that you feel the need to go out of your way to remind America that without those sitting at the Golden Globes, all they have left is “football and mixed martial arts, which are not the arts.” Well, hate to break it to you, but I am a big football fan and I, along with millions of other Americans, don’t appreciate a liberal elitist telling us without her movies, we have no entertainment.

You and almost every other person in attendance sit on your high horse in Hollywood or Beverly Hills, claiming to be in touch with middle America when you don’t have the first clue of what majority of us experience in today’s economy, workforce, or everyday social situations. You live comfortably, you always have food on your table and job security. Under President Obama, many families found themselves not being able to afford or provide that basic necessity. The majority of the American electorate spoke on November 8th when we elected Donald Trump as the next leader of this nation. No political protest, acceptance speech, or Twitter rant is going to change that.

Speaking of Donald Trump, the next part of your speech is part that I don’t totally disagree with. I agree that mocking a disabled person is disrespectful. I do agree that “(the) instinct to humiliate, when it’s modeled by someone in the public platform, by someone powerful, it filters down into everybody’s life, because it kind of gives permission for other people to do the same thing. Disrespect invites disrespect. Violence incites violence. When the powerful use their position to bully others, we all lose.”  When you say this, I don’t think you understand how hypocritical you sound. You, along with majority of the Golden Globe attendees, work for an industry that makes a profit off of violence and disrespect. Hollywood wonders why society thinks violence, disrespect and bullying is okay. Maybet because Americans see it daily because of your industry. Not to mention that Meryl, you and majority of Hollywood supported Hillary Clinton in this election. It’s so hypocritical for you to call for respect when your candidate even called many Americans “deplorable” and “irredeemable.”

You weren’t wrong when you said “we need the principled press to hold power to account, to call them on the carpet for every outrage. That’s why our founders enshrined the press and its freedoms in our Constitution.” It’s no secret that during the election season, the mainstream media had no problem overlooking Hillary’s discrepancies. The media should hold everyone accountable, not just a selected few. The press didn’t hold Hillary accountable for Benghazi. The press didn’t hold Hillary accountable for deleting thirty three thousand emails illegally. The press didn’t hold Hillary accountable for accepting money from Wall Street. If you’re going to call for accountability, it should be true accountability, not just one that furthers your agenda.

Check your privilege, Meryl.

Madison B
FFL Contributor
Madison is a blonde southern girl who believes in small governement, loving America, and having your highlight on at all times. Succeeding without special treatment, she describes herself as "Elle Woods, but like Conservative", finding an excuse to wear red, white, and blue as often as possible.

Read more articles